Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Familiarity has bred neglect?

"Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes with the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can Extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. "
Ephesians 6: 14-17

Ok, sure, we've all heard this one a few times, haven't we? You might even be recalling a dorky cartoon image of a warrior, all outfitted in shiny metal armor; a common staple of Sunday school classrooms. (I remember an old video game I had when I was a kid, where you walked around ghettos and shipyards looking for different pieces of God's armor and pieces of the Fruit of the Spirit that actually looked like fruit).

Who puts on a breastplate these days? Honestly. But here's the thing, God's word is living and active right? So if we've oversimplified this mental image, we've lost track of the great mental picture we are given of the provisions we are supplied to strengthen and protect us. I've recently come back to this verse with a humbled attitude, realizing that perhaps I have not taken God seriously here. And you know what? He's been showing me areas in my life that I've made myself vulnerable to attack, simply because I've neglected the armor and weapons that he's given me! But he hasn't left it there, oh no. I am being blessed daily with examples of how God has granted me his full armor out of his love for me, and that I am equipped to use it!

So sisters, I encourage you to consider asking God to help you identify your need for his spiritual armor (we need it whether or not we're aware of it), and ask him to equip you with the armor as he reveals your need for it. He will not fail you! Get specific with each visual we are given in the verse above, and start exploring each one individually. God will reveal to you how they work together, don't worry about that!

As the old saying goes, "familiarity breeds contempt". I suggest we've maybe let our familiarity with the visual image of Gods Armor breed neglect for discovering the truth of God's word here. Ohh, please don't let that remain the case, ok?

pax,
Valkyrie

2 comments:

Chelle' said...

Hi Valkyrie. THanks for visiting my blog today and for commenting on my recent post.

I've enjoyed reading over your blog today. Welcome to the world of blogging. I will check back often. Especially to see your "100 things about me" post.

It's a right of passage.

:)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post. I found you from Chelle's blog. I want to wish you the best with your new blog. You will meet some wonderful people.

May God bless the work of your hands, Joanne